Check out my crew’s Summer Camp Review!
Monday’s don’t always have to be a drag, so we decided to extend the Advanced 3-day ticket price through midnight CST tonight (Monday, March 4th). Get your tickets today and save some money before the prices goes up!
We are on site and ready for you all to join us in just 2 days! Since you will be overwhelmed with amazing activities to do once you’re here, here are a few things you don’t want to miss.
1. The workshops, activities, discussions, performances and more in the Soulshine Tent. For a full list of Soulshine activities, check out the schedule!
2. Sunrise kickball with Ryan Stasik of Umphrey’s McGee. This has become a Summer Camp tradition and will be taking place once again at 6am (or sunrise) on Saturday at the Sunshine stage.
3. All of our Field Day activities. Most events will be taking place during the day on Saturday just next to the Vibe Tent, so head over Thursday and Friday to sign up, and get in the action!
4. The Make a Difference Treasure Hunt. This is a fun way to see all of what the Make a Difference Area at Summer Camp has to offer, and earn an amazing prize ONLY offered to people who participate! This year’s prize is entry to an exclusive Everyone Orchestra show in the Red Barn on Sunday! Check out the back of your program for rules and more information.
5. The workshops taking place daily in the Old Church. Here’s the schedule for the weekend:
3:00-4:00 Keys with:
Joel Cummins – Umphreys McGee
Jordan Wilcow – Family Groove Company
Eric Blumenfeld – Kinetix
Joe Hettinga – Digital Tape Machine/Strange Arrangement
Jesse Clayton – Fareed Haque’s Math Games / Macpodz
4:30-5:30 EDM, Hosted by Anand Harsh of Untz.com, with:
Jesse Miller from Lotus
Wick-it the Instigator
4:00-5:00 Guitars, with:
Al Schnier - moe.
Adam Lewis – Family Groove Company
Marcus Rezak – Digital Tape Machine
+ special guest
5:30-6:30 Pickin’ with:
Hot Buttered Rum
3:00-4:00 Drums, with:
Andy Farag – Umphreys McGee
Greg Fundis – Math Games
Nigel Felony – Floodwood
4:30-5:30 Bass, with:
Janis Wallin – Family Groove Company
6. The Technaflora Booth! Technaflora will be hosting a costume contest at their booth at 6pm every day for a chance to win a pair of late night tickets! They are looking for the most creative and innovative costumes. The themes are as follows:
Day 1 – May 25 – What’s in Your Garden? / Dress up as your favorite Fruit or Vegetable
Day 2 – May 26 – Red Barn / Dress up as your favorite Farm Animal
Day 3 – May 27 – Enchanted Forest / Dress up as a Fairy
7. The Grassroots California Dome. The GRC boys are bringing their dome back to Summer Camp Music Festival, and this year they will be lighting up the forest in style with the GRC x Jumbie Color Changing Dome Experience. Make sure you check it out (and get the official Summer Camp Music Festival hat!!)
8. The Merch Areas! We have some amazing new merch designs for you this year. You can purchase merchandise at both the General Stores.
9. Our Information Boards. This year, we will have Information Boards at both General Stores and at the VIP tent. On these boards you will find a map of the grounds, the daily weather report, the schedule, information on workshops and other activities, AND any changes or updates throughout the weekend! Also, on the back we will have a Missed Connections board you can use to meet up with friends, make some new ones, and stay connected!
Last but not least….don’t forget your tickets!! If you haven’t grabbed yours yet, get one now! If you are planning on upgrading to VIP, make sure you get yours before they sell out!
See you all soon!
Your Summer Camp Director
One week from RIGHT NOW we are all going to be together having an amazing time at Three Sisters Park. Until then, here are a few pointers to make sure you have an amazing time at Summer Camp this year!
1. Plan ahead. Check out the schedule online and map out your weekend at the fest. You can also share your schedule online with your friends and print it out to take with you! Make your schedule now!
2. Pack smart. We’ve put together an essential packing list on our web site. Check it out now!
3. Get the app. We are psyched to announce that the 2012 Summer Camp app is ready to download! The app works on iPhone and Android phones and has the lineup info, map of the park, up-to-the-minute news, and more! Download it
4. Create a GroupMe. Connect with your Summer Camp crew by creating a GroupMe group. Never get lost, plan better, and don’t miss a beat.
One last thing….don’t forget your tickets!! If you haven’t grabbed yours yet, get one now!
See you all soon!
Your Summer Camp Director
Hola fellow SCampers!!!
As we approach the weekend we have all been anxiously waiting for, I wanted to take a minute and give you guys a better idea of who I am and what I am going to bring to Summer Camp this year. First and foremost I want to introduce you to the people I am coming to SC with; two of the main people who you will see in my vblogs are dear, close friends of mine who actually introduced me to Summer Camp six years ago and have been there with me every year since, Derrick Lawless and Steve Bannister. Two super chill, awesome people who I met in college and am proud to say will be a part of my life for the rest of it. Come Summer Camp 2050 we will be there rockin’ it out like ever before. There are other friends of mine who are coming, Matt Weiler, Brian Buss, Christina Fountain, and Jake Kuykendall, (if you meet anyone of them, buy them a drink!) most of them are also friends from college who share the love for good music and good times.
One of the reasons that Summer Camp is the ULTIMATE most AMAZING festival is the line up. Every year I think to myself “man there’s no way this year’s line up is going to be as killer as last year’s” and every time I am proven wrong. I not only get to see the bands I already love and follow throughout the year; but there are always so many new bands that I fall in love with.
Some of this year the sets that I am looking forward to seeing for the first time are Gigantic Underground Conspiracy; an awesome compilation of artists from several bands who are sure to put on some jams you most certainly don’t want to miss. Tedeschi Trucks Band, I have always wanted to check them out and for some reason or another have never gotten the chance, with that kind of talent I know it’ll be an amazing show. Sun Stereo a sweet local Champaign-Urbana band with a distinct and fresh jazzy-rock feel, check them out in advance on facebook.
The bands that I have seen many a time before but cannot wait to check out are Lotus, went to their Halloween weekend show in Pittsburgh, PA this past year and it was out of this world good, if you haven’t checked them out – seriously it’s a show you don’t want to miss. Eoto is probably one of the bands I enjoy seeing live the most – they NEVER disappoint and manage to keep every show super fresh. Lastly can we say Talking Heads cover band? This Must be the Band is definitely one of those I gotta check out, can I put a request in? Let’s hear the Talking Heads song your band is named after =)
Alright so I have limited space and limited time and there are tons of bands I am dying to check out (like two bands not mentioned above who are among my all time favorite bands and who I get to see every year 3 days in a row ONLY at Summer Camp? that’s right…moe. and Umphrey’s), but I can’t talk about them all. So to let you know more about myself, I grew up on the Beatles, it led the way to harder rock and then jazz, such as Zeppelin and Dave Brubeck, and from there evolved further to include jam and electronic rock. I appreciate all artistry and talent, but I have a soft heart for drummers as I like to pretend I know how to jam on my used Evans drum set. I love Summer Camp for various reasons, but one of the main ones is that it was the first music festival of my life. Music has always had such an influential role in the essence of my being and there is no other festival that I feel as in touch with the tunes I love as SC. This is not your impersonal mob fest, you come to Summer Camp once and you feel like part of an extremely, extremely, large family forever.
On that note, for you first timers let me tell you some of the things I make sure to pack. For all you ladies, TP is a MUST. As glorious an experience as port-a-potties are, most of them run out of toilet paper and the best thing to do is be prepared, bring some and put a few squares (can you spare a square?) in your pocket. Next bring some trash bags, it is a privilege to use Three Sisters Park and we need to be responsible, have plenty of trash bags not just for garbage, but you never know what the weather could bring and you’d be surprised how dry one of those can keep you. Glow sticks are essential, not only do they add to the beautiful sea of lights at night on the main stage but they provide a great atmosphere for campsite hangouts. With all the great shows playing all the time, you are destined to catch some day shows and when the sun is strong some sun screen is essential! I have seen way too many people painfully red from neglecting to get their rub down, so SPF 50 it is! Finally, make sure to bring your crazy. This is a once in a lifetime experience to let go of everything that ties you down and let your true inner-self soar, so bring a happy spirit and leave your worries at home!
As your Summer Camp counselor I want you all to seek me out, let me make this your best Summer Camp yet. I want encompass the sweetness that is Summer Camp, and the only way I can do that is with your help. You fans are what keep SC alive and I want to show how we bridge the gap between the fans and the bands. Summer Camp is so much more that just music. It is about you living life; lets celebrate it.
I am going to promote some special Summer Camp spirit; my fellow moe.rons and I will be awarding fellow scampers that show special spirit throughout the festival. For example we will award the sweetest campsite, the person with the wildest outfit, the dude/dudette with the most innovative accessory or the neatest jam shout, and many many more; so let us join together and make this year the best Summer Camp EVER woop woop!!
SCampers for life!
Summer Camp Counselor Maria
As a thank you to our loyal fans and amazing community, we have decided to extend Getting Closer ticket prices through the end of the month. The price will increase at midnight on 5/1, so don’t miss out!
Happy Saturday everyone!!
Your Summer Camp Director
We have a lot going on over here at Summer Camp this week:
- We will be releasing the schedule this Friday, 4/20!
- With the schedule announced, we will be putting single day tickets for SUNDAY ONLY on sale this Friday too! Sunday only tickets will be $65 in advance plus fees.
- Getting Closer ticket prices expire at 11:59pm on 4/20, so you should get yours now! Almost There ticket prices will be available on 4/21 for $200 plus fees.
- If you buy your tickets between now and 11:59pm on 4/20 you will be entered in a drawing to win a Summer Camp prize package including the new 2012 Summer Camp hat by Grassroots California!
- 4/20 is our founder Ian Goldberg’s birthday
- We have lots of contests going on, and a new one coming, so keep an eye on our Contests page.
- We still need volunteers! Sign up now!
ONLY 38 DAYS UNTIL CAMP!! Can’t wait to see you all soon!
The Summer Camp Director
We are excited to announce that we will be hosting a cell phone drive at the Cornmeal, Hot Buttered Rum and Family Groove Company show on 4/20 at the Vic Theater in Chicago. All of the cell phones will be donated to Special Olympics Illinois Area in Chicago to be recycled! The money that comes in turn from the recycled cell phones is used to purchase sporting equipment, uniforms, host tournaments and more for Special Olympics athletes and activities. This drive is part of Summer Camp Make a Difference and is also a Field Day event, so make sure you mention which team you’re supporting with each donation. Each cell phone donated will receive 1 raffle ticket for a chance to win 2 tickets to Summer Camp Music Festival and 2 tickets to the SOLD OUT UM BOWL III at the Park West in Chicago on 4/27. So start getting your old phones together and we’ll see you at the show! Get your tickets now! http://event.etix.com/ticket/online/frontDoor.jsp?performance_id=1605259&cobrand=jamusa
Also, Getting Closer tickets to Summer Camp expire at midnight on 4/20 (founder, Ian Goldberg’s birthday!!). So make sure you get your tickets now before the price increases!
Can’t wait to see you all soon!
Your Summer Camp Director
Living out in the Western parts of this country I get a chance to see a lot of bands that haven’t made a presence in the midwest yet. One of my favorites is the Oak Creek band out of Sedonah, Arizona, now living in Denver. I’m sure some of you haven’t ever heard them so I am telling you, check out this band. I’ve attached a video here:
This was the opener of there last show at Cervantes in Denver. A great way to start the night. I wish I hand;t had so many soda pops…the sugar got to me and I was not able to record the highlight of the night, a four on the floor, funked out, danced up version of The Beatles’ Eleanor Rigby.
These guys just came through Martyr’s in Chicago and I am sure they’ll be back through that way soon. Take my word for it and do not miss these guys. In the meantime check them out through the google machine.
We are so excited to welcome the following artists to the 2012 Summer Camp Music Festival!
Michael Franti and Spearhead
Preservation Hall Jazz Band
Dirty Dozen Brass Band (35th Anniversary Tour)
Wick-It The Instigator
The Divide (formerly the Great Divide)
JC Brooks & The Uptown Sound
Red Wanting Blue
And guess what Campers? We’re not done! Stay tuned for a few more artist announcements coming soon! In the mean time, make sure you pick up your Getting Closer tickets before they’re gone!
Apply to be the 2012 Summer Camp Counselor!
We are currently accepting applications for our 2012 Summer Camp Counselor position. If you think you’re a perfect fit for the Camp Counselor position, and you are ready to have a once in a lifetime Summer Camp experience, here’s how to apply:
2. Email a written resume outlining your experience and qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 30th, 2012. Please include in your email a link to a video cover letter that addresses why you want to be this year’s Camp Counselor and what you can bring to the table (submissions without videos will not be counted). Keep in mind; this is not your typical job, so your resume can include ANYTHING that helps to prove you’re the right fit. Festivals you’re attending, tours you’ve been on…the more creative you are, the better!
2. We will review the applicants, and select the top candidates. The selected candidates will then be asked to put together a separate 2-3 minute video for fans to: introduce themselves, discuss why they are perfect for this position, and tell fans what they plan to offer the Summer Camp community as a whole with this new power and role. These videos will be posted on YouTube and put together in a playlist on the Summer Camp channel.
3. Each week, 2 of the candidates will go head to head and the winner will move on to the next round. Once the top 3 names have been selected, they will be added to our “ballot” and emailed out to fans to vote on. The candidate with the most votes will be named the 2012 Summer Camp Counselor!
So if you are fun, oozing with personality and charisma, and think you have what it takes, submit your application now. ALL APPLICATIONS ARE DUE BY MARCH 30, 2012!! For any questions about the position, please email email@example.com.
Volunteer and go to Summer Camp for free!
We are still accepting volunteers to help out at the 2012 Summer Camp Music Festival. Volunteers play a vital role in the success of our event, and it would not be possible without them! For more information on how to apply, click here.
ONLY 68 days until Camp!
Your Summer Camp Director