Every year, it seems like Summer Camp is so far away, and then these last few weeks fly by in no time. Can you smell it? It’s almost here! Here are a few things I’m super excited for…
- The entire Campfire Stage line-up. It is sick. Chicago Farmer, Greensky Bluegrass, and then Hot Buttered Rum in the wee hours of the morning? I just saw them at the Vic with Cornmeal on 4/20 and I truly fell in love with this band. They are not to be missed. For what is thought of as a smaller side stage, the Campfire Stage is pulling some pretty serious weight this year.
- Weir, Robinson, and Greene Acoustic Trio. I am beyond excited to hear these guys collaborate, and I can’t wait to hear what kind of set they put together. Late afternoon on the Sunshine Stage is the perfect slot for this set. Also, if you don’t know Jackie Greene, click here and check him out – he’s (in my opinion) one of the best lyricists around right now.
- Morning yoga at the Soulshine Stage. Confession: I’ve planned to do this every year and have never actually gone. I’ve even brought my yoga mat and everything… but let’s admit it, 10am is a tough time to be up and moving at a festival. Everyone that goes says it changes your day – gives you energy, and re-centers you for another day of raging and music. So this year, I will make it happen. (Probably.)
If this is your first time at Summer Camp, or a festival in general, here are some tips:
- Don’t forget your ticket. Really. Every year I see sad people in line realizing they forgot it and are 3 hours from home. Triple check it, people.
- Bring baby wipes. Showers are available, but baby wipes will save your life.
- Print out the schedule! Yes, they give you one at the gates, but every year by Friday afternoon there are 10,000 people asking to see a schedule. I don’t know how thousands of them get lost every year, but they do – print out a backup, and you will be everyone’s best friend.
- Forget about a map. You’ll figure out where you’re going in no time, and there will always be a friendly face to point you towards the next stage. Just let go, and you’ll figure it out.
- You cannot pack enough of the following items: bottled water, glowsticks, hair rubber bands (for girls or long-haired boys), sunscreen, an extra pair of party pants (in case you dance yours into oblivion), and smiles.
- If you forget any of the items mentioned above, there is a grocery store right down the block from Three Sisters Park. If you’re traveling from afar, I’d suggest stopping there for your ice & perishable food right before you head in to the greatest weekend of the year.
That’s all! So start packing and get pumped, because I have a feeling this might be the most epic Summer Camp yet…
Abby Mager, CIT 2012